Karl. Concerto for Viola and Orchestra No. 1 in D Major (c1774).
Ulrich Koch, viola. Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Viola,
'Cello and Orchestra in A Major (c1775). Franz-Josef Maier,
violin. Franz Beyer, viola. Thomas Blees, 'cello. Collegium Aureum.
RCA Victor VICS-1339 (c1968). Codes: WVRS-1179-1S A1 I / WVRS-1180-2S
A1 I. 1st American Label. New Disq Playing Grade 93/93. New Disq
Visual Grade 96/96. Inner Sleeve 96. Cover 98. $35.00. (1a)(2a)(3a)(4a)(4k)(5e)(5f)(5g).
This release became a cult record in the '60s-Happily, today it
is still an attractive one. The viola concerto is especially pretty
and is played with an easy elegance. (For all its original popularity,
this record is now difficult to find in investment grade.) *****(*)
59. Strauss, Johann Jr. Kaiser-Walzer, Op. 437 (Arnold Schönberg, arranger). Rosen aus dem Süden, Op. 388 (Arnold Schönberg, arranger). Schatz-Walzer, Op. 418 (Anton Webern, arranger). Wein, Weibund Geang, Op. 333. (Alban Berg Berg, arranger). Boston Chamber Players. Rainer Brock, record producer. Klaus Hiemann, recording engineer. Deutsche Grammophon DGG 2530 977 (c1979). Codes: 2530 977 S1 320 X6 / 2530 977 S2 3 320 6A AG. 1st Label. New Disq Playing Grade 93/93. New Disq Visual Grade 95/95. Cover 98. $100.00. (1a)(2a)(3a)(4c)(4d) (4e)(4j)(4k). This quirky record is an absolute delight: these arrangments give us a humor-filled and an expressionist Johann Strauss Jr. (This is an excellent recording.) *****(*)
60. Stravinsky, Igor. Divertimento; "Le Baiser de la Fee" (c1928, rev. c1950). Quatre études pour orchestre (c1929). Suite No. 1 pour Petite Orchestre (c1925). Suite No. 2 pour Petite Orchestre (c1921). L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. Ernest Ansermet, conductor. London ffss CS 6325 (c1962). Codes: ZAL-5575-1G 1 K / ZAL5576-1G 1 1. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade Grade 94/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/96. Inner Sleeve 96. Cover 95. $150.00. (1a)(2a)(3b)(4b)(4d)(4e)(4f)(4p)(5b)(5i)(5k). Mostly, this is a playful record as winds, brass and strings chase each other through the scores. Ansermet gives us charming, fun-loving Stravinsky, and the London-Decca production staff gives us a clean, crisp L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande. ****
61. Stravinsky, Igor. Les Noces (c1917). Les Noces (c1919). Gregg Smith Singers. Orpheus Chamber Ensemble. Song of the Nightingale (c1917). Symphonies of Wind Instruments (c1920, rev.1947). Columbia Symphony. Robert Craft, conductor. Robert Craft and John McClure, record producers. Columbia Masterworks M 33201 (c1974). Codes: MAL 33201-1C A / MBL 33201. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/96. Inner Sleeve 96. Insert 98. Cover 98. $50.00. Les Noces (c1917) recorded February 12, 1973, in Waldman Auditorium, Columbia University, New York City. (2a)(3a). Les Noces (c1917), (4b)(4d)(4e)(4f)(4g)(4h). Les Noces (c1919), (4a)(4d)(4e)(4h)(4j)(5m). Symphonies, (4a)(4d)(4e)(4k)(5i). Chant, (4b)(4d)(4e)(4f)(4g)(5b)(5i)(5j). This is a record of crystal clear Stravinsky: a Stravinsky of icy texture and chattering rhythms. It is an exciting record and yet, at the same time, it is a slightly irritating one. The 1919 chamber version of Les Noces is hypnotic but annoying, as we are propelled through the work by incessant rhythm. Robert Craft gives the piece a Medieval flavor as he calls for the soloists to recite melody to its pulsating meter. Song of the Nightingale is less irritating as Craft simply reveals the work's clean polyphony. Its textures become taut as he fills them with lean, pure energy. The performance is icy hot. This record gives us a view of Stravinsky that is compelling and still a little uncomfortable. *****
62. Stravinsky, Igor. Symphony of Psalms (c1930). Toronto Festival Singers. Elmer Iseler, director. Symphony in C (c1940). CBC Symphony. Igor Stravinsky, conductor. John McClure, record producer. Columbia Masterworks MS 6548 (c1963). Codes; XXSM-75955-1J 111 / XXSM-75956-1L p. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/96. Inner Sleeve 96. Cover 96. $150.00. (1a)(2a)(3a)(4a)(4e)(4g)(5b). Where Symphony in C is an urbane, secular piece, Symphony of Psalms is an austere, sacred work. Together they make a good record simply because they are so different. But like many of Stravinsky's performances of his own pieces, these seem like improvisations, as if he, incredibly, is composing as he is going along. They are refreshing, seemingly extemporaneous realizations. *****
63. Telemann, Georg Philipp. Quartet No. 7 in D Major for Flute, Violin, Viola da gamba and Bass continuo. Quartet No. 8 in A Minor for Flute, Violin, Viola da gamba and Bass continuo. Quartet No. 9 in G Major for Flute, Violin, Viola da gamba and Bass continuo. Hans-Martin Linde, flute. Lucy van Dael or Peter Ross, violins. Jordi Savall, viola da gamba. Alan Curtis, harpsichord. Gerd Berg, record producer. Johann-Nikolaus Matthes, recording engineer. EMI 1C 065-30 792 Q (c1978). 1st Label. New Disq Playing Grade 95/95. New Disq Visual Grade 98/98. Cover 98. $35.00. Here we are offered a mixed bouquet in soft, subtle colors-it is a pleasant gift. ****
64. Tippett, Michael. String Quartet No. 1 in A Major (c1935, rev. c1943). String Quartet No. 2 in F Sharp Major (c1942). String Quartet No. 3 (c1946). Lindsay String Quartet. L'Oiseau Lyre DSL010 (c1975). 1st Label. New Disq Playing Grade 96/96. New Disq Visual Grade 98/98. Cover 96. $25.00. Composed within a few years of each other, these are works of similar feeling. Characterized by jagged, sharp rhythms, meandering melody and harmonic dissonance, they are powerful, commanding pieces. The Lindsay String Quartet understands this. *****
65. Varèse, Edgard. Amériques (c1918-22). Arcana (c1925-27). Ionisation (c1931). New York Philharmonic. Pierre Boulez, conductor. Andrew Kazdin, record producer. Edward T. Graham, Arthur Kendy and Raymond Moore, recording engineers. Columbia Masterworks M34552 (c1977). Codes: MQAL 34552-1D A / MQ BL 34552-1B B. 1st Quadraphonic Label. Disq Playing Grade 95/95. Inner Sleeve 96. Cover 94. $75.00. (1a)(2a)(3a)(4b)(4d)(4e) (4f)(4g)(5k). Amériques is a work written for an extremely large orchestra and the recording skillfully makes use of this orchestra's enormous color and variety, the performance stage exploding with music in and from all directions. The work's open and transparent texture gives a seductive breadth and depth to the record. (This is an extremely exciting piece, performance and recording.) *****(*)
66. Vaughan Williams, Ralph. Mass in C Minor for Double Choir (1923). Bach, J. S. Cantata No. 4 "Christ lag in Todesbanden." Doralene McNelly, soprano. Alice Ann Yates, alto. Michael Carolan, tenor. Charles Scharbach, bass. Paul Salamunovich, cantor. Roger Wagner Chorale. Concert Arts Orchestra. Capitol SP 8535 (c1960). Codes: SP1-8535-N1#2 & / SP2-8535-D5X &. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/95. Inner Sleeve 95. Cover 96. $150.00. (1a)(3b) Mass, (4a)(4d)(4e) (4q)(5m). With its simple left-to-right movement of sound, this Vaughan Williams mass is a typical early stereo recording. It is also a richly warm one that is always in the service of its music. ****
67. Villa-Lobos, Hector. Forest of the Amazon. Bidu Sayao, soprano. Symphony of the Air and Chorus. Hector Villa-Lobos, conductor. Robert E. Blake, recording engineer. United Artists UAS 8007 (c1959). Codes: U9S 1277-1 JJ / UAS 1278-1 JJ13. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 95/95. UA Jazzletter No. 2 Insert 98. Inner Sleeve 95. Cover 96/94. Please write for the price of this unique record. (1a)(2a)(3a)(4a)(4e)(4g)(4i)(5b). This sweeping and romantic production is more than a sound painting of the Amazon Forest. It is also the World Premiere recording of the work, a vehicle of the talented Ms. Sayao and a demonstration Villa-Lobos' ability as a conductor. (This is one of the original stereo-collectibles.) *****(*) This record is from the private-collection of Hollywood, composer, arranger and conductor, Irwin Kostel.
68. Vivaldi, Antonio. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in C Major, F. I, 31. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in D Minor, F. VII, 1. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in A Minor, F. VII, 5. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in D Major, F. VII, 10. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in C Major, F. VII, 11. Concerto for Oboe and Strings in F Major, F. VII, 16. Hans de Vries, oboe. I Solisti di Zagreb. Gerd Berg, record producer. Wolfgang Gülich, recording engineer. Angel SZ 37741 (c1980). 1st American Label. Disq Playing Grade 96/96. Disq Visual Grade 98/98. Promotional Cover 94. $25.00. With its engaging setting and exact scale, this is a record of easy, delight-filled Vivaldi. It is also a beautiful recorded performance by a genteel, agile oboist. *****
69. Vienna Philharmonic Festival: Herbert von Karajan. Beethoven, Ludwig van. Symphony No. 7 in A, Op. 92. Brahms Johannes. Symphony No. 1 in c, Op. 68. Haydn, Franz Joseph. Symphony No. 104 in D "London." Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus. Symphony No. 40 in g, K. 550. Strauss, Johann and Josef. Overtures, Polkas and Waltzes. RCA Victor Soria LDS 6407 (c1960). Codes: 1S/5S, 1S/1S, 1S/1S and 3S/1S. 1st Labels. Disq Playing Grades 93/93, 93/93, 93/93 and 93/93. Disq Visual Grades 96/94, 95/98, 98/96 and 95/95. Inner Sleeves 95, 95, 95 and 95. Booklet 95. Inner Box 96. Outer Box 94. 4 records. $800.00. *****
1. Beethoven, Ludwig v. Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 8 in G, Op. 30 No. 3. Sonata for Violin and Piano in A, Op. 47 "Kruetzer." Nathan Milstein, violin. Artur Balsam, piano. Capitol PAO 8430 (c1958). Codes: PAO -1- 8430-D3" / PAO-2-8430-D6". 1st Deluxe Label. Mono Only. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/96. Inner Sleeve 96. Album 96. Please write for the price of this album. This is a legandary record. For a story about Ruby Peterson read my "REMINISCENCE" on JOURNAL OF RECORDED MUSIC 4. ***** Ex Ruby Peterson.
2. Glanville-Hicks, Peggy. Concertino Romantico. Richter, Marga. Aria and Toccata for Viola and Orchestra. Walter Trampler, viola. The M-G-M Chamber Orchestra. Carlos Surinach, conductor. Weber, Ben. Rapsodie Concertante for Viola and Small Orchestra, Op. 47. Arthur Winograd, conductor. MGM E3559 (c1957). Codes: E 3559 S1 /E3559 S2. Mono Only. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 95/95. Inner Sleeve 95. Cover 95. Please write for the price of this album. I've come to the conclusion that the best of American art music, whether Ives or Copland or Glanville-Hicks, can be most satisfyingly heard as some variation of our movie-music-really our great music. So heard, it makes much sense and seems beautifully and uniquely ours. And though they certainly stand on their own as compositions, I can also imagine Weber's Rapsodie as a soundtrack to a dark mystery and Glanville-Hicks' Concertino as the accompaniment to an Edwardian romance. (The 1950s' mono-only MGM classical catalogue is one of the important documents of American art music). *****(*)
3. Jongen, Joseph. Symphonie Concertante. Virgil Fox, Palais de Chaillot organ. Orchestre du Théâtre National de Opéra. Georges Prêtre, conductor. Richard Jones, record producer. Capitol SP 8573 (c1961). Codes: SP-1-8573-D5#2 & / SP2-8573-D4 &. 1st American Label. Disq Playing Grade 94/95. Disq Visual Grade 96/98. Inner Sleeve 95. Cover 98. $150.00. Though written for organ and orchestra the work is really a tour de force for the solo organ. This, the work's premiere recording, was one of the original audiophile collectibles. **** Ex Ronald Penndorf.
4. Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus. Sonata for Violin and Piano in C, K. 296. Sonata for Violin and Piano in G, K. 301. Sonata for Violin and Piano in e, K. 304. Nathan Milstein, violin. Leon Pommers, piano. Capitol P 8452 (c1958). Codes: P1-8452-D2 / P2-8452-D12. Mono Only. 1st Label. Disq Playing Grade 93/93. Disq Visual Grade 96/95. Inner Sleeve 94. Cover 96. Please write for the price of this album. This is one of the original collectible LPs. ***** Ex Ronald Penndorf.
5. Paganini, Niccolo. Caprices for Violin Unaccompanied, Op. 1. Michael Rabin, violin. Capitol SPBR-8477 (c1959). Codes: SPBR-1-8477-D2 #3 & S1 / SPBR-4-8477-D2#3 & S1 and SPBR-2-8477-D7 & / SPBR-3-8477-D4 &. 1st American Labels. Disqs Playing Grade 93/93 and 93/93. Disqs Visual Grade 94/95 and 94/94. Inner Sleeves 95 and 95. Insert 96. Box 95. 2 records. Please write for the price of this set. It was said that Paganini was the Devil and Rabin his "reincarnation"-probably not. (However, these are devilishly brilliant performances.) *****(*) Ex Ronald Penndorf.
6. Miller, Glenn. Army Air Force Band. Johnny Desmond, Lynn Allison, Murray Kane, Artie Malvin, Steve Steck, vocalists. Gene Bergen, Morris Bialkin, Henry Brynan, Earl Cornwell, Phil Cogliano, Milton Edelson, Stan Harris, Dave Herman, Ernie Kardos, Nat Karpoff, Harry Katzman, Joseph Kowelewski, Dick Motolinski, George Ockner, Bob Ripley, Dave Sackson, Dave Schwartz, Carl Swanson, Manny Wishnow, strings. Vince Carbone, Jack Ferrier, Hank Freeman, Freddy Guerra, "Peanuts" Hucko, Mannie Thaler, saxophones. Bobby Nichos, Bernie Privin, Jack Steele, Whitney Thomas, Zeke Zarchy, trumpets. Larry Hall, Johnny Halliburton, Nat Peck, Jim Priddy, trombones. Addison Collins, French horn. Mel Powell or Jack Rusin, piano. Carmen Mastren, guitar. Trigger Alpert or Joe Shulman, bass. Ray McKinley or Frank Ippolito, drums. Norm Leyden and Ralph Wilkinson, arrangers. RCA Victor LPT 6702 (c1950s). Codes: F2PP 4748 1S D1 / F2PP 4757 1S A1, F2PP 4749 1S A1 / F2PP4756 2S A1, F2PP 4750 1S A1 / F2 PP47557S A1 I , F2PP4751-2S A1 I / F2PP4754 1S D1 I and F2PP 4752 1S A2 I/ F2PP 4753 1S A2 I. Mono Only. 1st Labels. Disq Playing Grade 93/93, 93/92, 93/93 and 93/93. Disqs Visual Grade 95/95, 94/95, 93/95, 94/93 and 94/94. Inner Sleeves 94, 94, 94, 94 and 94. Deluxe Album 96. 5 records. Please write for the price of this unique set. It is clear from the number of string players in the band that this is not just another Air Force band or just another set of Glenn Miller records. It is, in fact, an often adventurous, innovative effort and even could be early Third Stream music. Now and then, piano player and contemporary composer, Mel Powell's creative influence can be felt. (This album comes with its original mailing carton and packing material. ) *****(*) Ex Ralph J. Gleason.